For those that demand the finest instruments, the X8 Drums Jackfruit Djembe is our top of the line, best of the best, Master Series Djembe! This is a preeminent musical instrument and quite difficult to import and produce thus making quantities limited.
X8 Drums is the only drum company in the US producing this handcrafted gem. As with all world percussion instruments that display the X8 Drums name, the wood is legally harvested timber (Government certified) and environmentally sustainable.
The golden yellow timber of the Jackfruit tree is extremely versatile and used for crafting high-end musical instruments, and furniture. Hardwood from the trunk is carved out from one single piece to form the djembe. It is also used to make the body of the Indian string instrument Veena and the drums mridangam, thimila, and kanjira.
The ornate wooden plank called avani palaka, made of the wood of the jackfruit tree, is used as the priest's seat during Hindu ceremonies in Kerala. In Vietnam, jackfruit wood is prized for the making of Buddhist statues in temples.
The Master Series djembes are hand made, custom carved professional grade instruments prepared with the finest materials.
Each drum goes through a rigorous inspection of quality control using hand selected #1 quality jackfruit wood that is all legally harvested and certified to be legal timber.
Also, due to the specialized shell shape only 30% of the approved wood that is sorted for our Master Series line meets the size, shape, and quality criteria for a Master Series. All shells have to be both hand carved and lathed. This is expensive and takes a long time. Every Master Series djembe is carved extra thick for incredible tones, and unsurpassed range.
Take special note of the neck ring on each Master Series djembe. Every drum is secured with a forged steel neck ring that is specifically fitted and built for each model. All Master Series shells are hand carved with a built in groove that is custom fitted to lock the ring system into place. This tedious process of welding a custom steel neck ring leads to a highly secured tuning system.
When you tune up your new Master Series it stays locked and tight when performing. The Master Series has it all: craftsmanship, beauty, and that juicy tone you’ve been after!!
Please note that each drum is hand-carved, by master carvers, and sizes will tend to slightly fluctuate. No two drums are exactly alike which makes each one a unique work of art.
25.5" Tall x 13.5" Head
Not sure about the size? Read Which Size Djembe is Right for Me?
Need help tuning? Watch our video, How to Tune a Djembe.
- Legally Harvested, Environmentally Sustainable Jackfruit wood, One-piece, solid shell construction
- Government Certification Process
- Low Stretch Alpine Nylon HTB 5 mm rope runners
- Natural, unbleached heads for authentic look and sound.
- 3 ring system at the head for more stable tuning and elimination of skin slippage
- Forged steel neck ring, with built-in groove that is custom fitted to lock the ring system into place
- Carved rim to stabilize bottom ring for precise, long-lasting tuning.
- Lathe turned for uniform thickness
- Lateral groove/rough surfaced carvings on interior bowl to reduce overtones
- Premium selected goatskin drumheads
- Temperature controlled storage environment
- Shells are kiln dried with up to 20 coats of teak oil to protect and preserve the wood.