This is a video download product. Once you purchase it, you will have access to download the video and watch it on your computer or mobile device.
Watch a preview of this lesson before you buy!
How to Hit the Djembe, Form and Function
In this djembe video lesson you will learn the basic djembe playing technique to include how to make an open tone, slap and bass. These are the 3 basic sounds that come out of the djembe.
When playing your drum, you are actually speaking a language. Through rhythms and solos we communicate with each other.
- Start with Triangle - The triangle hand position will set your posture and prepare you for hitting the drum
- Learn to play tone, bass and slap in the proper position on the drum head.
- Understand how to make contact with the drum.
- Learn to play an Open Tone
- Bounce (Rebound) and follow through for tone and bass
- Making the Slap (or Pop) sound. This portion includes information on the difference between a Mail Slap and a Guinea Slap.
- Using the Whip Technique for establishing slaps
- Cupped Slap has a drier sound
- Making the Bass Note
- Exercises for improving the your tone, slap and bass technique
This video was made using the new MP Eco Pro djembe. Available exclusively through X8Drums.com.