Subjects & Authors
We all pick up drums for our own reasons. Some of us like to jam with friends, while others prefer a solo career covering favorite songs in a basement. Then there are the drummers who love the stage, or those who sit around in a circle, healing the earth and others. Drumming is fun, it is exercise, it is creative, and it is exceptionally therapeutic. Put 100 drummers in a room together and ask them about how drumming has changed their lives, and you’ll probably just hear 100 drummers drumming, but, underneath that roaring rhythm is a collective understanding that drumming inspires plenty of epiphanies, encourages flexibility of thought, and even brings about feelings of sanity, especially when dealing with a world full of disappointments, frustration and angst.
In short, you can’t deny how great it can feel to pound away on a drum when you’re really mad.
Anger management is the ability to refrain from harming yourself or others when faced with incendiary personal, professional or global situations that tick you off. It is the ability to process annoyance in a healthy way. Anger management may be the only thing that keeps you from disturbing the peace of the person who keeps parking in your spot, or taking your lunch from the fridge at work. But, in learning to manage your anger, how many times have you been encouraged to pick up a drum? We’re going to say never, which is why in our expert way, we just want to point out that drums are essential for anger management, both in and out of therapeutic setting because you get to HIT things for fun.
How Drums Discourage Angry Outbursts That Will Potentially Land You In Jail:
- Physically banging on drums releases stress, anxiety and negative emotions, especially when done rhythmically.
- You have to focus on the rhythm, not the person, because you’re “in the moment” and that person is NOT going to mess up the ONE THING you do RIGHT (ahem).
- Drumming forces you to keep your hands (and feet) to yourself.
- There is no “fight or flight” with drumming – just a creative expression of anger that sometimes varies in intensity due to the person’s face flashing before your eyes.
- You can pretend you are one of your idols, one who never has to deal with “that” person or circumstance again, because you’re a drumming GOD/DESS.
- Drummers are just super happy when drumming, because, we’re drummers. Puppies are happy because they’re puppies. Living up to a divine purpose is awesome.
- People are much less likely to mess with anyone who is sitting around, hitting a drum or drums. Drumming is loud, fairly confusing to watch, and, you’re drilling YOUR rhythm into their minds. Mind control is almost as much fun as drumming.
- “Air Drumming” is almost as baffling as watching a drummer drum, especially for those who aren’t rhythmically savvy and/or in your head.
- If you simply make drum noises (BA DA BUM BUM) when you’re frustrated or annoyed, people will leave you alone, especially the louder and faster you vocally drum.
- You get to hit things. With your hands, sticks or mallets. Come ON.
The experts say that anger is a healthy emotion, and that learning to express it without harming yourself, other people or other things is the key to anger management. The drummers say, “chill, man, let’s jam,” or some other variation of the same sentiment. We can’t help but draw the parallel between the two. Drummers are happy people, or they’re in the process of becoming happy, usually by drumming.
As the old saying goes: bad days come and go, but, drumming is forever . Don’t let your anger manage you, manage your anger! Pick up a drum, hit it, and get happy.
There is something special about the cooler seasons of the year that bring out the best in everyone, including elaborate costumes and the fantasy worlds of times past. Renaissance fairs and festivals are a part of the lives of millions of people around the world, taking advantage of open air settings that once proved a glamorous backdrop for knights, [...]
IT'S FLASH SALE FRIDAY AT X8 DRUMS! Deep Discounts for 24 Hours or while supplies last! To celebrate your TGIF, X8 Drums has introduced Flash Sale Fridays. Flash Sale item(s) are discounted significantly for 24 hours only. Product types and brands will change from week to week, so you're sure to receive a Flash Sale email that [...]
We have seen tons of studies on the fitness aspect of drumming, most of which are focused on drum set drummers. More than likely, the obvious exertion seen in the faces of any hardcore drummer on a stage (determined, focused eyes, sweaty and breathing like they’ve been running a marathon) is the major reason for the focus on drumming [...]
You can call it a wail or a scream, but, Robert Plant’s unmistakable cry at the beginning of “Immigrant Song” will remain a defining moment in Rock N’ Roll until the end of time. It is one of those moments in music that is not only an unforgettable experience, but, inspiration for millions of musicians, guitarists, drummers and vocalists [...]
It’s the most unusual, awesome and extraterrestrial thing to come to melodic percussion in the 21st century, of course. There are a lot of debates about these “drums” in the world of music, including whether a hang (pronounced “hahng,” or “hung,” per its German roots) is even a drum. However, since it is played through hitting the surface of the [...]
Just ask any drummer about the most important sound from a drum set… and, you’ll get a different response each time. But, just because drummers cannot agree on what part of the drum set is the best, that doesn’t mean that drummers who prefer the bass drum are entirely wrong. If that is, of course, the answer, which we [...]
Having an impact in the world takes dedication, motivation and a selflessness that not everyone can embrace. This impact, this hard-hitting desire to create positive change is seen in all areas of life, from the environment to health concerns, education or awareness programs. For a drummer, a person who is used to creating a new rhythm through his or [...]
The phrase, “drumming up support,” is reflected in anything from PTA fundraisers to the drum circles that we saw during the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations, and for very good reason. These circles of musicians, dancers, singers and performers have a long history of working to get the attention of others for a good cause by joining people together with [...]
If you have been playing drums (or any instrument) for your entire life, or, you just discovered your passion for drums, immersing yourself in a drumming program in college could be your personal launching pad into greatness. There is a lot to be said for music education, either in the form of private lessons, or singing in a school [...]
X8 Roaming Elephant Djembe
Gretsch New Classic Series Drum Set, Black Sparkle
Dixon Cajon Pedal Plus
Stallion Pro Djembe Drum, Large w/ Free Heavy Duty Bag
High Tuned "Dandaranyika" Kalimba
Toca Freestyle ColorSound Djembes