Learn proper technique for hitting the djembe! In this digital djembe lesson, Michael Pluznick will teach you how to play the 3 basic sounds of the djembe; open tone, slap and bass.
- Start with Triangle - The triangle hand position will set your posture and prepare you for hitting the drum
- Learn to play tone, bass and slap in the proper position on the drum head.
- Understand how to make contact with the drum.
- Learn to play an Open Tone
- Bounce (Rebound) and follow through for tone and bass
- Making the Slap (or Pop) sound. This portion includes information on the difference between a Mail Slap and a Guinea Slap.
- Using the Whip Technique for establishing slaps
- Cupped Slap has a drier sound
- Making the Bass Note
Exercises for improving the your tone, slap and bass technique
This video was made using the MP Eco Pro djembe.
by Michael Pluznick