Watch a preview of this lesson before you buy!
Bongo 102: Beyond Martillo with Noah Mosgofian
With a lesson run time of over 25 minutes, Noah Mosgofian reveals over a dozen rhythms from his Bongo performance bag of tricks! First learn how to play the Tumbao rhythm on bongo, then several variations for taking this rhythm to new levels. Next, learn several 6/8 patterns for bongo that will work in just about any type of 6/8 music scenario.
Video includes both slow tempo and over-the-shoulder views as well as full-tempo practice sections.
Modified Tumbao Rhythm Adapted from Congas to the Bongo
- Left hand, heel tip pattern from congas (practice technique)
- Right hand open tone on macho and hembra heads
- Work on timing
- Learn part one and part two of this rhythm
- Variation options with left hand
- practice slowly, then work on the pattern full tempo
- Tumbao rhythm variation with flam
- Variation with two slaps with suggestions on how to mix and match with Martillo from Bongo 101
6/8 Patterns on Bongo adapted from Congas
- Heel-tip pattern with open tone, adding double tone on hembra
- Breakdown of rhythm slowly, then up to full tempo
6/8 Bongo Variations
- Substitute second heel with a tone
- Double up on double notes
- Substitute slap for heel
- Use same slap and play a little ruff using open tones
- Variation inside this pattern
Run Time: 25:03
This video is instructed by Noah Mosgofian.
Noah Mosgofian's career includes 6 years with the international percussion sensation STOMP, tours with Lost at Last, Del Castillo, Atash, and scores of other award-winning bands and drum/dance companies playing samba, salsa, afro-beat, funk, and more. He has taught thousands of students in the US and abroad, including composing, arranging, and teaching for Austin Samba, one of the biggest samba schools anywhere outside of Brazil. Noah’s teachers include the top names in many disciplines: Mamady Keita, “Changuito” Quintana, Los Muñequitos de Matanzas, C.K. Ladzekpo, and Fara Tolno. Visit his website at www.noahmosgofian.com